Word Workin' It

Daily 5 is one of my favorite parts of the day!  My kids are engaged in literacy activities of their choice, and I get to work with my small groups for reading.  My kids love it.  I love it.  Win, win, right?!

Word Work is one of my most popular choices during Daily 5.  Over time I've changed the activities, and I finally think I've found the right mix.  One of the many things I love about first grade is that I can take the most simple of tasks and make it fun, while keeping it a meaningful learning opportunity for my kids.  My Word Work focuses on sight words and word-building activities.

I always keep 4-6 choices in the Word Work area.  Some are independent and some allow for partnerships.  I tend to keep some activities in rotation all year round (changing only the corresponding word cards) and switch out a couple of the other choices each quarter to keep it fresh.

This week I took some time to streamline my Word Work documents and really add the "cute" factor to the directions and recording sheets.  I really like how colorful they are and I can't wait for my new batch of firsties to use them!

Have you seen the Boggle boards making their way around Pinterest?  I was able to download the letters and recording sheet for FREE from the blog Create, Teach, Share.  Don't you just LOVE when teachers share?!!

(mine looks slightly different, but I don't have a picture, sorry!)


Magnetic Letters - A tried-and-true activity!

Sunken Treasure - Amazing how fun a highlighter can be when you're 6!

One of our favorite games!


The kids can always choose from Magnetic Letters and the partner game Roll, Say, Keep.  My other activities include: Rainbow Words, Stamp It Out, Sunken Treasure, Boggle, Alphabet Soup, Bananagrams, Scrabble Spelling, and Type It Out.  I put together a packet of some of my Word Work activities.  Check it out in my TpT store!  ((If you are interested in some activities that I listed but didn't include in the packet, just leave me a comment with your email address and I can send you more info!))


3 comments

  1. Oooooh! I'm liking the sunken treasure idea!
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!
    I'm now following you, too!
    Jenn

    A Pirates Life for Us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. I have been thinking about trying the chees it activity. How many boxes did you have to get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up using a box and a half for my 23 first graders!
      Colleen :-)

      Delete

Back to Top