Cha Cha Changes... Math Modules

Well it wouldn't be a new school year without new curriculum.  Am I right?!

This year our district will be using the EngageNY Math Modules.  These were created by teachers to meet the Common Core Standards.  They have a very sequential scope and seem to focus more on the WHY than the HOW of math.  They challenge students to think deeply and {gasp} WRITE about math!  

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about using the modules, since I absolutely fell in LOVE with Math Workshop over the past two years.  You can read more about my math workshop {HERE}.

The NYS Math Modules are whole-group and rather lengthy.  They take a full 60 minutes... and then some!  That's a lot to ask of six year olds, especially in the beginning of the year.

Despite my reservations, I am embracing the change.  In fact, I tested out Module 5 with my class this past spring.  This unit focused on geometry, fractions, and time.

I found that my students did gain a deeper understanding of geometry than I have previously taught in the past.  They were making great connections and encouraged to really explain their thinking.  It was TOUGH, but they persevered!  

So in preparation of using the modules full-force this year, I created vocabulary cards that align with the modules for First Grade.  I'm sure many of the cards can be used in Kindergarten and Second Grade as well.  I plan to update these as I go this year, as I am sure I'll come across more terms I'd like my firsties to know!

Check out my Math Vocabulary Cards.  They will be on SALE through Friday!!!






I'm sure I'll be posting more about the modules throughout the year.  And who knows... maybe I can even combine the modules AND my beloved math workshop!!!

Are any of you using the Math Modules in your district?  I would love to hear your ideas!

2 comments

  1. We used the NY Common Core math modules last year. It was tough in the beginning for the kids and the teachers! It often took us several days to complete a lesson. We then learned to do the fluency activities at another time( maybe morning meeting) and that we didn't need to do all of them. Also, they didn't need to complete all of the problem set-just 10 minutes. Look at the exit ticket so you know what's the most important part of the lesson. The kids learned a lot last year and they rose to the challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! That sounds like what we are anticipating this year with timing. Of course it's overwhelming changing to something new, but I am optimistic. I did like Module 5, so I'm hoping I feel the same about the rest!! Colleen :-)

      Delete

Back to Top